Toddler weight became our joke at home, because I was always saying I need to lose the baby weight. Until we realized, “Oh shit, Luke is going to be 2 in 3 months”, then we started to joke that we needed to lose the toddler weight.
Over the years as a coach I have helped so many people transform their lives, lose weight, feel better, have more energy and self love, including myself. However, for awhile I think I was hiding behind the fact that I have a kid, that I have a special needs kid, that I was not racing anymore etc, just to get away of not taking care of myself.
One night, I was exhausted not only because of a busy day but because I was not taking care of myself properly. Like I usually say, “You can only change what you are aware of” and that night I became aware that I needed a change. A few things came in my mind:
- Life is a mirror, and I started to think what kind of mirror am I going to be for my son. I know he will need my help more than most kids, therefore I need to be an example for him, the best example I can be.
- I need to perform. Yes, I am not racing anymore but I needed to perform in LIFE, by that means I need energy to not only help Luke, but also take care of business and the house.
- I know my case might be a bit more intense than normal, however that is why I need to pay even more attention to my health, because Luke needs me.
Back when I was 23 and I changed my life, I wanted to be happy and healthy. For some reason I thought that professional athletes were super healthy and it’s not really true (that is why there are so many DRUGS involved in sports) and I saw with my own eyes. I pushed myself so hard that I started to lose my health. Therefore my transformation now was different, my main goal is to be a healthy and strong Dad.
My experience as an athlete was extremely beneficial so I went back to the basics. I went back from when I dropped 100 pounds, and I started to apply my own method, however I started to apply an upgraded method. I started to combine what I did for weight lost with the mindset of an athlete. One thing I constantly did as an athlete was to apply c.o.r.e: Change what needs to change, optimize what is working, reconnect with your true self, by doing that results will come (exceed).
As I embrace this journey a few things happened:
- Life is definitely a mirror. As I started to get stronger, I notice that Luke was getting stronger as well. That is a true story, the pass 10 weeks, which is exactly the amount of time I started the journey, we all notice I significant increase in his energy levels and strength (mentally and physically).
- My life performance has increased quite a bit. I am no longer exhausted, in the end of the day, and the ability to deal with stress have improved dramatically.
- As your health improve everything else start to improve as well. However, normally we go to a shift period, where it seems to be harder, and that is because the energy is shifting. After the shift things will start improving quite a bit.
As I started to help more parents, I realized that we all go thru this phase and that toddler weight can be very real. Few things we must realize.
- Kids are energetic, and if you are constantly tired you gonna miss a lot in your kids life, and time does not go back.
- Self love is not selfish. In order to love others you need to love yourself as well, yes is a little “fashion” but is true. Most of us have a hard time, but we must remember if we don’t take care of ourselves we won’t be able to take care of our kids. If we want to teach our kids to take care of themselves we need to be a good mirror.
- Health is a combination of things that incorporates mind, body and soul.
- We all go thru life challenges as a parent, but how you feel and how your health is will make a huge different in how you face that challenge. By that means, if you reduce the stress with things you can control, will be a lot easier to face the stress of things you cannot control.
- Kids are the future, therefore is really important that you are a beautiful mirror for them, mind, body and soul. Just like Gandhi once said “be the change you want to see in the world”.